About Our Parish
Welcome to the website of St. Spyridon Greek Orthodox Cathedral in Worcester, Massachusetts! We are a welcoming community of Christians who come together every Sunday and throughout the week to worship our Lord and God and Savior Jesus Christ, and serve one another. Father Dimitrios Moraitis is our presiding priest, and he is assisted by Deacon Andrew Giurelis and Pastoral Assistant Nicholas Livingston. We are located on Russell Street adjacent to Elm Park, the country's oldest public park.
We are an active parish with more than a dozen ministries, a weekly food pantry, weekly services and other activities. Our clergy performs approximately 15 weddings and over 50 baptisms each year. Because of our beautiful Cathedral and scenic Elm Park location, our Cathedral is popular for sacraments.
We have recently constructed a new multi-million dollar Family Center. The Cotsidas Cultural Center is a central meeting place for all Orthodox Christians in Central Massachusetts and although not limited to Orthodox Christians, we hope to have created a mutual meeting place for all to enjoy. Please be sure to visit the Family Center Website to learn more.
If you would like to join us in Sunday Services and become a member of St. Spyridon or would like to arrange a meeting with Father Dimitri, please call the office at 508.791.7326 or contact any Parish Council Member.
List of Laity Award Recipients
Thank you for visiting our website, we hope that you gained a deeper understanding of our parish. We look forward to welcoming you in person soon!
History of the Church
After the resignation of Reverend Papanikas, the following priests served temporarily as pastors of the community; Reverend Alypios Petrakis, Reverend Chariton Panagopoulos, Reverned John Papadopoulos, and Reverend Agathangelos Galatianos, Reverend Jerotheos Stavrou, who is at present serving as pastor of the community at the beginning of 1921 and remained as such until 1924. He is a native of Epirus, and after a successful service of 15 years in the jurisdiction of the Ecumenical Patriarchate, Reverend Stavros undertook his first pastorship in American here in Worcester.
During his pastorship, a ledger for births, baptisms, weddings and deaths was inaugurated. At that time a committee for the erection of the church was chosen. Due to the fact, however, that there were still many objections about the suitability of the land on Orange Street, it was necessary "to hasten slowly" as he puts it, in order to keep the unity of the community and at the same time prevent any unpleasant consequences. At any rate, the idea for erection of a new church was stabilized during this period. At the general meeting of July 10, 1923, a committee composed of George Andreson, Nicholas Karcasinas, Peter Chepas, and Andrew Bell was instructed to find a most suitable site for the new church within thirty days. However, the committee did not find a more suitable site at the expiration of the thirty-day period, and it was decided to build the church at Orange Street. The Architect, Hachadoor Demujian, was called to make necessary plans for the church. George Labovites served as president of the community from May 1920 to December 1925. Alexander Demans, who has been serving the community for over thirty years as sexton, was appointed as collector.
Reverend Stavrou resigned as pastor in March, 1924 after plans for the erection of the new church were already laid out. These plans became a reality during the pastorship of Reverend Vasilos Lokis, another native of Epirus, who served the community from 1924-1928. (During his short absence, Reverend Christopher Kontogeorge served temporarily.) During the pastorship of Reverend Lokis the St. Spyridon Church at Orange Street was erected. With the great efficiency and energy which characterized the man, he succeeded in erecting the church. William Patterson and later Theodore Stevens were the Chairmen for the collection of funds for the church. It was also decided in the general meeting to borrow fifteen thousand dollars from the Five Cents Savings Bank for the construction of the church.
At the time, political differences which arose from the elections in Greece, brought a disastrous disunity in many communities in America. This dispute, plus the continuous objections as to the suitability of Orange Street, brought about the separation of some families from the community and the establishment of another community, "The Assumption of the Virgin Mary," whose members held services at Front Street near Trumbull Street. Pastors of this newly found community were Reverend Dionysios Demissianos and Reverend Germanos Tzoumanis.
The erection of the new church began in 1924, and the consecration services were held on May 3, 1925. The construction fo the church cost apprx. 65 thousand dollars, from which over 30 thousand dollars was held in mortgage. The contractors were Ernest Whitehead and Company.